Industry and government are promoting 5G and the Internet of Things as the “next big thing” hoping these will generate enormous economic growth, a colossal amount of data, and unimagined benefits to society. 5G and the IoT are being foisted on us all in what can only be described as a mad rush. The Telecom industry, echoed by our government officials insist they are responding to public demand, although the vast majority of people have no idea what either 5G or the IoT are.
This website provides the “rest of the story” – the things about 5G and the IoT that industry and government neglected to consider – the many and multifaceted downsides of the IoT. On this website, we take a hard look at 5G and the IoT – free from industry and government bias and spin. We do not hide our viewpoint, nor do we present any of the supposed “benefits” of 5G and the IoT, as these are amply provided elsewhere. We believe that after looking into the downsides of 5G and the IoT, you may agree that the supposed benefits do not outweigh the harms.
Whatis5g.info delineates nine ways in which 5G and the IoT will adversely impact us all: Health, environment, cybersecurity, privacy, energy consumption, effects on our brains and humanity, e-waste and conflict minerals. There are other problems with 5G and the IoT such as workers’ conditions, toxic materials and run-off, jobs replaced by artificial intelligence and robots, etc. These and more will be addressed in blog posts.
In addition, there is a section for each of the following:
- An overview of 5G and the Internet of Things – Homepage
- An explanation of the science of microwave radiation
- An explanation of the benefits of Optical Fiber and coaxial cable for the bulk of ICT communications
- Actions we can take to protect our rights to health, privacy and cyber security.
After considering the downsides of the 5G and the IoT, it is our hope you will feel moved to take action to protect yourself, your community, and our Earth. We need you!!
Who am I?
I am a mother, grandmother, musician, and now activist. My formal training was in music – so beyond my experience as founder and now director of Maryland Smart Meter Awareness, my only credentials for putting together this website are my deep love for our Earth with all its many and diverse living beings, and a longing for a future that will be respectful and nourishing of us All.
With 5G and the IoT looming on the horizon, and most people still completely unaware, I felt called upon to create this website. As I am not a professional in any of the areas covered on this website, I have been careful to only make statements that are supported by others more learned than I. It is my hope that as people become more informed about the potential harms of 5G and the IoT, people will be better equipped to mindfully choose a path forward that truly represents the highest wisdom and will of us All.
Theodora Scarato (MSW) — Theodora Scarato develops educational resources for communities and governments, coordinates scientific programs in the US and internationally and develops policy updates. Her work on wireless radiation, lead contaminated water, pesticides, and tire based playing fields lead to the co-founding of several organizations both locally and nationally that address various environmental health and safety concerns. She is a also a practicing clinical Social Worker, formerly directed a special education therapy program in Maryland Schools, and has an extensive background working in mental health with children and adolescents.
Assya Pascalev (Ph.D.) – Assya Pascalev is a philosopher working in the areas of moral philosophy, bioethics, social and political philosophy, the ethics of technology, neuroethics, food ethics and research ethics. She holds a doctorate in applied philosophy and has extensive experience teaching philosophy and bioethics in Europe and the USA. Her research has appeared in numerous international academic journals including Neuroethics, Transplant International, and Monash Bioethics Review. In her latest research, she explores the impact of technology on our ability to exercise moral agency, to make moral choices and to live an authentic life.
Allison Main – Alison Main is a freelance writer and journalist with an expertise in environmental health, electromagnetic safety, wireless technology, chemical safety, tech addiction, electro-sensitivity, and building biology. Her published work has appeared in Paleo Magazine, Best Self Magazine, Notre Dame Magazine, News of Pelham, NaturalHealth365.com, and JolieTalks.com. And her media appearances include podcasts and radio interviews. Also a creative director, Alison works on environmental health and safety awareness campaigns with number of public policy organizations and individuals. You can read some of her work at www.alisonmain.me.
Internet of Things – short version The Internet of Things (IoT) is a not so well thought through dream of wirelessly connecting every “thing” possible to the Internet: machines, appliances, “things”, sensors, devices, surveillance cameras, robots, and even animals and humans. Additionally, the IoT will include Artificial Intelligence (AI), robots, and Virtual Reality (VR).
5G – short version: 5G would deliver millions of new cell towers and outfit virtually every lamppost in our already radiation saturated neighborhoods, with “small cells” beaming radiation into our homes 24/7 – Many people do not wish to live next to a radiation transmitting tower.
In a Nutshell - 8 Reasons 5G and the IoT Should Be Halted
- HEALTH – The robust and growing independent science shows harms to our health from radiation
- PRIVACY – Our privacy will be invaded from the collection and mining of all our digital data
- CYBERSECURITY – There are fast growing and devastating cyber security risks from the IoT
- ENVIRONMENT – 5G and the IoT pose a threat to our wildlife, particularly bees, butterflies and other pollinators, and threaten biodiversity
- ENERGY – Wireless radiation consumes mega amounts more energy than does wired. To produce and run a wireless IoT and its attendant Cloud, will be extraordinarily energy consumptive
- EFFECTS ON OUR BRAINS AND HUMANITY – There are adverse effects on our brains and humanity from humans increasingly inhabiting the cyber world and by melding humans with machines
- E-WASTE – There will be an astronomical increase in e-waste generated from morphing all “things” into digital transmitters
- CONFLICT MINERALS – 5G and the IoT will vastly grow our dependence on conflict minerals which have contributed to the death of close to 6 million Congolese people