Industry and government are promoting 5G and the Internet of Things as the “next big thing” hoping these will generate enormous economic growth, a colossal amount of data, and some benefits and conveniences to society. Unbeknownst to the vast majority of people (and with no public input), 5G and the IoT are being foisted on us all in what can only be described as a mad rush.
This website provides the “rest of the story” – the things about 5G and the IoT that industry and government neglected to consider – the many and multifaceted downsides of the IoT. On this website, we take a hard look at 5G and the IoT – free from industry and government bias. We do not hide our viewpoint, nor do we present any of the supposed “benefits” of 5G and the IoT, as these are amply provided elsewhere. We believe that after looking into the downsides of 5G and the IoT, you may agree that the supposed benefits do not outweigh the harms.
Whatis5G.info delineates 8 ways in which 5G and the IoT will adversely impact us all: Health, environment, cybersecurity, privacy, energy consumption, effects on our brains and humanity, e-waste and conflict minerals. There are other problems with 5G and the IoT such as workers’ conditions and toxic materials; these will be addressed in blog posts.
In addition, there is a section for each of the following:
- An overview of 5G and the Internet of Things (Homepage)
- An explanation of the science of microwave radiation
- An explanation of the benefits of Optical Fiber and coaxial cable for the bulk of ICT communications
- Actions we can take
After considering the downsides of the 5G and the IoT, it is our hope you will feel moved to take action to protect yourself, your community, and our Earth. We need you!!
Internet of Things – short version The Internet of Things is a not so well thought through dream of wirelessly connecting every “thing” possible to the Internet: machines, appliances, “things”, sensors, devices, surveillance cameras, and robots. Additionally, the IoT will include Artificial Intelligence (AI), robots, and Virtual Reality (VR).
5G – short version: 5G would deliver millions of new cell towers and outfit virtually every lamppost in our already radiation saturated neighborhoods, with “small cells” beaming radiation into our homes 24/7 – and most people don’t want to live near a radiation transmitting tower.
Following, in a nutshell, are eight reasons 5G and the IoT should be halted:
- HEALTH – The robust and growing independent science shows harms to our health from radiation
- PRIVACY – Our privacy will be invaded from the collection and mining of all our digital data
- CYBERSECURITY – There are fast growing and devastating cyber security risks from the IoT
- ENVIRONMENT – They pose a threat to our wildlife, particularly bees, butterflies and other pollinators
- ENERGY – It requires an inordinate amount of energy to produce and maintain wireless infrastructure and all the IoT “things”
- EFFECTS ON OUR BRAINS AND HUMANITY – There are adverse effects on our brains and humanity from humans increasingly inhabiting the cyber world
- E-WASTE – There will be an astronomical increase in e-waste generated from morphing all “things” into digital transmitters.
- CONFLICT MINERALS – These will vastly grow our dependence on conflict minerals which have contributed to the death of close to 6 million Congolese people