Governor Jerry Brown
Attn: Tom Dyer
c/o State Capitol, Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814
RE: Please initiate an investigation and VETO SB649
Dear Governor Jerry Brown,
I would like to bring to your attention a concern that I have and hope that you and your staff will cause it to be investigated by the properly enforcing entity; it relates to California Senate Bill 649; This is more reason to VETO SB 649!
A brief history of California broadband
In 1993 the “California First” plan was based on spending $16 billion to rewire the state with fiber optics cable “…replacing the old, in use, copper wiring”.
The cost to bring fiber optics to residential phone customers/ratepayers was estimated at that time to be about $1,000 per household. Is was stated that this money would be “…covered by telephone rates” paid by us the customer. These telephone rates increased 138% from 2008 to 2016, with ancillary services, such as caller ID and Call Waiting increasing 60% to 525%!
The promise in 1993 was to provide broadband services to more than 1.5 million homes by the end of 1996, 5 million homes by the end of the decade.” This was to facilitate “telemedicine” “learning and education” TV, “multi-media” to name a few.
The promise was also made for schools, community colleges and libraries to have computer and video networks. They predicted by the year 2,000 every classroom will be wired to handle voice, data and video telecommunications.
Please review the Huffington Post article of August 23, 2017, titled “Californians Paid Billions Extra: The State Assembly Should Investigate AT&T’s Cross-Subsidies”.
Also, for your information this Huffington Post article has an important link, explaining California Broadband History.
Further, the Huffington Post article states in 1993, [t]he new plan…is to just shut off the copper wires and force-march customers onto wireless, where, conveniently, the same company controls the wires that are used to the wireless networks, which were built, in large part, paid for by these customers.”
This first Huffington Post article concluded that what is really needed are investigations and audits of AT&T’s financial books, NOW.
As there is an investigation of Verizon New York by the NY State Public Service Commission that corroborated the Huffington Post findings; that there are massive financial cross-subsidies between and among the wireline state utility and all of the other Verizon affiliates, including the wireless company. AT&T California appears to be doing the same financial dishonesty.
The second article written by the Huffington Post is titled “Expose: AT&T California Fiber Optic Scandal: Billions Charged for Broadband that Never Showed Up.”
This article states that, “[v]irtually no one knows the history of fiber optic broadband in America, much less what happened in their state, even though they were charged thousands of dollars per household. Instead, in 2017, we get embarrassing proposed laws, such as SB-649 in California, which claims that if the State just frees the companies from regulations, they will deliver new, ‘fabulous’, broadband wireless services. These are tied to other bills and new proposed regulations, including current FCC proceedings to ‘shut off the copper’ and replace it with wireless. It is time for investigations, not new gifts to AT&T et al.” (Emphasis Added)
The citizens of California have a right to be safe. I ask that you in your official capacity please do everything possible to institute safety measures that are safe for the public.
The citizens have a right to safe, secure, reliable, extremely high speed, highest capacity, most reliable and energy efficient internet. Fiber optic broadband delivers all these.
Fiber optic broadband is secure, unlike wireless – which should not be trusted with proprietary or confidential information because it broadcasts it everywhere, making hacking easy.
Favorable hacking conditions are not safe for economic development, such as confidential communications with a professional, as your health care provider, probate and estate lawyer, financial transactions, online banking, emails, personal documents, and pictures to name a few. Not to mention the severe breach of personal Equifax credit information harming possibly 143 million of people.
Safe, secure, and reliable fiber optic broadband is necessary for economic development as the fiber optic broadband signals are contained within a fiber optic cable – making hacking a difficult physical process.
As an California Citizen and constituent, I respectfully request that our State and local officials do everything in their power and control to ensure this safety for the businesses and Citizens’ of the State of California. True economic development cannot occur when vital economic information is not protected.
I respectfully request that answers to the below Huffington Post conclusions be sought by all government public officers that hold a position of authority or service involving responsibility to the public.
The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) is now doling out money to these same Telecommunication Corporations to offer wireless broadband calling the plan “Connect America Fund (CAF)”, currently at Phase II; offered by AT&T in Amador County.
Summary of Facts
The fiberoptic deployment that has been paid for by landline customers was never completely installed.
“Connect America Fund (CAF)” a plan to provide wireless broadband, is again funded by you and me with our tax dollars.
The proposed 5G actions taken by the Telecommunication Corporations will be at another charge to the customers, while eroding local control.
Please forward this information for an investigation by the appropriate authority for enforcement and action.
Governor Jerry Brown please VETO California SB 649.
Thank you for your attention in this extremely time sensitive matter.
P.S. Here are the Huffington Post Conclusions:
The Huffington Post has some conclusions that they request that the State Assembly should be factually answering.
- How much money did customers pay AT&T for the upgrades of the wired networks to fiber optics – that never happened?
- How much money did customers pay so that AT&T could cross-subsidize the wired utility budgets to build the cell sites for the wireless company?
- If there is competition today, how did basic local service have continuous increases of 138% in basic rates from 2008 to 2016?
- Why has the California State Assembly not investigated the cross-subsidies, the failure to deliver fiber optic broadband and charge local phone customers major rate increases of the wired state utility copper-based wires?
- Why has State not stepped in to clean up this mess?
- Is Local Service profitable when the expenses that are being incurred to offer the service are examined?
- Have customers been overcharged fees built into rates for ‘incentives’ to build out network upgrades?
- Were there any refunds, penalties, lowering of rates, etc., when the networks were not upgraded?
- How much of the 5G deployments will be indirectly charged to the wireline networks and local phone customers?
Update: SB 649 passed out of the House and was sent back to the Senate for a final vote on the amended version. Since SB 649 also passed out of the Senate, it will now go to Governor Brown for signing. Letters, emails and calls should pour into Governor Jerry Brown’s Office within the next few days.
We are having a Post Card Campaign at the Ecology Center Booth at the Berkeley Farmer’s Market this Saturday. \Don’t have time to send a postcard? We can send one for you, please email us back – Saraharminoff@aol.com. There’s a coordinated social media campaign, asking folks to take pics of their postcards and post using #STOP SB 649 to further amplify the avalanche.
Please write a Letter to the Editor! Recent articles include:
Sample Post Cards to Governor Jerry Brown:
1) Stop SB 649! SB 649 is a project from ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council, an organization for corporate advantage over what is good for the public.
2)The CA state Dept of Finance does not approve of SB 649, nor do 300 local cities in California as it overturns local governance in favor of corporate control.
3) SB 649 impacts climate change and energy consumption – – Wireless technology consumes more energy than wired — fiber optics, cable, etc. See http://whatis5g.info/energy-consumption/
4) SB 649 ruins aesthetics in California. Teamsters are opposed and might pull the film industry out of state. Please retweet! “We view this bill as a full assault on local democracy!” Barry Broad, Teamsters Public Affairs Council #NoOnSB649https://twitter.com/CaCities/status/908742091668307968
5) SB 649 protects industry not health. Harmful effects of RF-EMF fields are already proven. A large number of peer-reviewed scientific reports show harm to human health including increased cancer and deaths around cell towers — subsequently when cell towers are removed, studies show that the death rate returns to normal levels. The US National Toxicology Program (NTP) shows an increase in incidents of brain and heart cancer in animals exposed to EMF.
6) Firefighters got an exemption from cell towers on their building, after facing neurological symptoms and other health problems — what about our most vulnerable populations such as children? http://fearlessparent.org/cell-tower-hypocrisy-rescuing-firefighters-not-kids/
7) More than 180 scientists and doctors from 35 countries, recommend a moratorium on the roll-out of the fifth generation, 5G, for telecommunication until potential hazards for human health and the environment have been fully investigated by scientists independent from industry.
8) SB 649 creates unsafe working conditions for utility workers. SB 649 antennas will be placed on utility poles, and utility workers will be exposed all day up close.
After asking Gov. Brown to veto SB 649, what else can you do? Post a link to this website on your Facebook page, your Twitter feed or your Instagram account. http://www.noon649.org/ Together we can protect the health and safety of all Californians! Thank you taking a moment to do this, and for taking a stand on this important issue!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING AND SUBMITTING COMPLAINT
(Links to Complaint forms below)
To stop SB649 from becoming a law, we need to make a formal complaint to the CA Attorney General whose job it is to inform the Governor regarding the legality of legislation, uphold the law, and protect our rights. This complaint demands that the Governor VETO SB649 based on several legal grounds.
Below are clear instructions. Please print the form; fill it out; and either fax it, or online-fax it* (instructions below) as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the Governor does not provide an email only a fax number.
If you have a question, please contact Brenda at 310-458-8886 or email her at email@example.com.
We need a mass of complaints to be submitted to the Governor and Attorney General (see more information about the complaint below).
IMPORTANT – We expect the Governor to sign SB649 soon. Thus we need to submit these complaints immediately. PLEASE try to fax these complaints to the Governor and AG as soon as possible – ideally by Monday, September 18th.
PLEASE contact any person you know in CA to do the same. This is IMPORTANT. Let’s make this happen!!
(NOTE – YOU CAN TYPE DIRECTLY ONTO THE DOCUMENT, SAVE, AND/OR PRINT IT.)
Choose the complaint that most closely applies to you.
- Person Sick with Electro-Sensitivity – Complaint to Governor and Attorney General
- Person Sick with Cancer – Complaint to Governor and Attorney General
- Person Not Yet Sick from Wireless – Complaint to Governor and Attorney General
Complete your personal information in Section 1.
Complete your sickness information (if applicable) in Section 2.
Print the form and sign it.
Fax the Complaint to the Governor and the AG.
Fax completed form to the Governor: (916) 558 3160
Fax completed form to the Attorney General: (916) 445 6749
The Governor does not have an email address. He does not want to make it easy for you to give him feedback. Please make the effort to fax him your complaint.
* Fax Online for Free using: https://faxzero.com/fax_governor/California
Or find a fax in hotels, office depot, Staple, Fed-Ex Office, UPS store, Mail-Box Etc (if you do not have one).
Please keep a copy of your complaint for your records.
Please save and email us a copy of your Complaint (no need for signature) so we can follow-up with the Governor and the Attorney General – (Email Brenda: firstname.lastname@example.org) If the form is hand-written, and it is difficult for you to scan, please email your contact info and to let us know that you submitted the Complaint and your contact information.
Have a Questions?
Contact Brenda at 310-458-8886 or email her at email@example.com if you have a question.
Further explanation and background for the Complaint:
SB649 is ILLEGAL. It violates the Constitutional Rights of every resident of California, essentially legalizes Criminal Assault and violates the Disability rights of those who already have become sick from wireless radiation. It is also illegal and discriminatory because of the exemption to fire stations/fighters. We should demand that our rights be protected.
It is the Role of the Governor and especially that of the State Attorney General to protect the rights, health and safety of the residents of their state and uphold the law. We need to demand that they comply with their legal responsibilities and the law.
This complaint explains why SB649 is illegal and how it would harm people and why it should not become law. Please fill out this form to demand that the CA Governor VETO SB649 and the Attorney General protect our rights and uphold the law, and if it becomes law challenge SB649.